UPDATE – JUNE 6
- Access to Lakeview Ave remains restricted but will be fully closed near the bottom of the hill to enable installation of catch basins. This will result in no driving access to the building. Access for emergency personnel, if necessary, will be provided.
- This closure will start Saturday, June 8. Limited access for tenant clients and staff and Boathouse staff may be available as early as Tuesday. This closure is expected to be lifted by Friday, June 14. However Lakeview Ave will remain restricted to local traffic until further notice.
- Pedestrian access through the area will be controlled and fenced to allow access to the building as well as the walking trail. Please follow the signage and respect directions provided by flag/construction personnel.
- Clancey Drive will remained closed for several more weeks as there is still significant movement of heavy equipment as the park setting continues to progress and remaining curb and road levelling occurs. Once completed paving is expected to start. A further update will be provided as we move forward.
- The contractor has started to install the rubber along the edge of the new wharf. Once completed and the cleats are installed, they will remove the boom and some remaining debris in the water and install a fence along the wharf to secure the construction area for your safety.
- Once completed the new new wharf will be open for use. This should be completed on Friday for use this coming Saturday.
- Access to the wharf will continue through the Boathouse. Please follow directions of the Boathouse staff while accessing the wharf and shells.
- Access to the building will remain through the main entrance but increased construction activity near the door will continue as the road is lowered to ensure no further water egress to the building, which occurred from time to time, and for curb work and the new walkway being installed. Please follow the access route and signage, provided for your safety.
- Parking near the Penitentiary has become a little muddy due to increased traffic. Additional road gravel will be or has now been laid in the area to help eliminate this situation.
- Work is progressing and the contractor has spread the topsoil and is installing the sod. The gravel for the walkways will follow. The area will continue to be fenced off to allow time for the sod to set prior to regatta day and subsequent use.
- The Marquee wharf is being replaced so that area is also fenced off. Berms have been installed in the water to protect the adjacent areas as construction commences in the water. Rowers are asked to maintain a wide berth from this area until further notice.
- You will note that all areas of construction are starting to take shape and you can clearly see the park settings we are developing. We apologize for the inconvenience but the end product will be worth it.
Safety for participants, staff and the general public is if utmost importance so please continue to follow the established walkways and follow all signage.
Update – May 12
- Construction on the Quidi Vidi Lake Boathouse Redevelopment is progressing quite well. As most are aware the road and parking congestion around the Boathouse is very challenging. Thank you for your continued cooperation.
- To implement the next stage of road construction there will be a road closure affecting Lakeview Avenue and Clancey Drive starting on Monday May 13, 2019. This road closure is anticipated to take up to three weeks. Clancey Drive will be closed from the Penitentiary through the Boathouse and Lakeview Avenue will be restricted to local traffic only.
- Access to parking behind the Boathouse will be restricted as the parking lot is prepared for paving and therefore restricted for Boathouse staff, our tenant and our tenant’s clients. Temporary closures of the parking lot may also occur. Please respect these restrictions and also all notices to be posted by the City.
- Parking will be permitted on both sides of Clancey Drive from the Penitentiary to Carnell Drive. During this time, current no parking zones will not be enforced on Clancey Drive. Please do not park on the grass.
- The general public is encouraged to use the various parking lots on the north side of Quidi Vidi Lake along the Boulevard to free up parking on both Clancey and Carnell Drives and the bottom of the Dominion parking lot.
- Crews are asked to arrive early to find parking and to ensure practice spins occur on time. We encourage all crews to make use of car pooling or to be dropped off, where possible.
- Pedestrian access through the construction area will be established. Signage will be added to provide directions and a restricted walking area will be provided. DO NOT walk on the road as construction traffic will be operating and obstructions may be present at all times. The pedestrian walkway is provided for your safety so please use only this walkway.
- It is expected that a portion of the new wharf will become available this coming week. Fencing will be adjusted to provide access. Access to the wharf will continue to remain available only through the Boathouse. Once the final section of wharf is complete, access to the wharf will become available for its entire length, and from Clancey Drive.
Update – April 28, 2019
- The contractor is now expecting to start the curb work in the parking lot this week, so the lot behind the boathouse may not be available for parking. Partial parking may become available after the contractor finishes each day for the week of April 29 – May 10.
- At this time we are unsure if the parking lot will be available in the mornings commencing May 13. We will provide a further update later this week as more information becomes available.
- Due to parking concerns, we encourage you to car pool and endeavour to arrive early so as not to delay your practice spin.
- The Boathouse will open for operations on Monday, April 29. As you are likely aware there is no longer any parking lakeside, west of the Boathouse. Parking will be available on the south side of Clancey Drive, and construction workers will park towards the Penitentiary to make space available near the Boathouse. Please remember there are parking restrictions on Lakeview Avenue. Parking is also available at the bottom of the Dominion Supermarket lot. If at all possible, consider car pooling. Please arrive early so as not to impede practice times, as in all likelihood you will have to park further away than usual.
- The parking lot behind the Boathouse in currently under major rehabilitation but it is expected to be available for limited use after April 29th, but will not have class A stone or curbs installed. This will happen prior to paving so temporary or partial closures may occur from time to time. We will provide updates in that regard.
- Clancey Drive will be closed for 2-3 weeks later in May as the final road realignment and regrading is carried out in preparation for paving. We expect paving to occur late May so we will keep you updated as we move forward.
- The original concrete wharf is available for use. It is anticipated that a portion of the new wharf extension will be available for April 29, but this may be delayed due to weather conditions. Due to ongoing construction at the wharves, additional buoys will be placed on the lake to mark no entry areas to ensure your personal safety and to protect the shells. Please do not operate within those areas and follow all instructions of the Boathouse staff.
- You will only be able to access the wharf and shells through the Boathouse via the north facing door near the jog, or from the gate entrance at the east end of the Boathouse near the Rowing Club. The door exiting the west end of the Boathouse next to the office, cannot be used, except for emergency purposes. The construction area will be fenced off from the road to a portion of the existing wharf. As wharf construction is completed, access will become available from the western most point of the new wharf, and through the Boathouse. Please follow all directions and signage.
- This is a major redevelopment that will provide a park-like setting, an extension of the trail way and an awards presentation area, which will make the area safer for participants and all lake users for generations to come.